Skip to main content
Full list of awards for the 2016-17 academic year:
- Susan Kauzlarich elected as part of the 2016 AAAS election as Chair-Elect of the Section on Chemistry. She will serve in this capacity through 2020.
- Susan Kauzlarich awarded Chancellor’s Award for Mentoring Undergraduate Research.
- Jesus Velazquez selected as a Scialog Fellow to participate in Scialog: Advanced Energy Storage - "a program of search and discovery for truly transformative energy storage systems."
- Professor Carlito Lebrilla completed his term as a member of the ACS 2017 Instrumental Analysis Chemistry Exam committee responsible for creation of the ACS qualifying exams.
- Professor Dean Tantillo, along with Dr. Henry "Hoby" Wedler, has won the Inclusion & Diversity Prize from the Royal Society of Chemistry for his work in developing chemistry camp activities, study aids, and research tools that increase the accessibility of chemistry for blind and visually impaired students.
- Alexei Stuchebrukhov awarded the 2017 University Honors Program (UHP) Faculty Award for Outstanding Mentorship.
- Professors Jim Ames and Dean Tantillo were selected as AAAS Fellows.
- Professor Davide Donadio has been selected to be a 2017-2018 UC Davis Hellman Fellow.
- Professor Dean Tantillo has been selected as an ACS Fellow for his contributions to science and the ACS community, including developing approaches for increasing accessibility of chemical research for blind students
- Professor Emeritus Marilyn Olmstead has been selected to be a 2017 Fellow of the American Crystallographic Association.
- Professor Kirill Kovnir has been admitted as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Professor David Olson has been selected as a recipient of the 2016 Dean's Award for Excellence in Mentoring at Early to Mid-Career Level in the area of Research. He was nominated by his students Lee Dunlap, Alexandra Greb, and Guoliang Zhang.
- Professor Jesus Velazquez was recently inducted as a CAMPOS Faculty Scholar. This program recognizes "exceptional scientists in a STEM discipline."
- Professors Sheila David and Annaliese Franz were awarded $10,000 Mentoring at Critical Transitions Fellowships by Graduate Studies to provide support for their graduate student mentees.
- Professor Frank Osterloh has been named a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Professor Stephen Cramer has been named an Einstein Visiting Fellow and will be joining the UniCat working group of Professor Peter Hildebrandt.
- Our Chemistry Club and ACS Student Chapter received a Commendable Award for their program and activities conducted during the 2015-16 academic year.
- Juli-Anna Dolyniuk (Kovnir Lab) was awarded an Alfred H. and Marie E. Gibeling Fellowship for the 2016-17 academic year, which recognizes outstanding graduate students in the areas of advanced materials research or energy conservation technologies.
- Three new funded trainees were recently selected for the Chemical Biology Program (CBP) at UC Davis: Calvin Ly (Olson Lab), Andrea Coleman (Ames Lab) and Kori Lay (David Lab). All three are Ph.D. students in the Department of Chemistry.
- Graduate student Nhu Nguyen (Tantillo Lab) was awarded a Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship to study at Oxford University.
- Graduate student Joya Cooley (Kauzlarich Lab) has been selected for a Travel Award from the Division of Inorganic Chemistry of the American Chemical Society to attend the Spring 2017 ACS Meeting in San Francisco.
Awards Earned By Alumni:
- UC Davis alumna (B.S. Chemistry, 1977) and Professor of Chemistry at Harvard University Cynthia Friend received the ACS Award in Surface Chemistry.
- Recent Ph.D. alumna Lizhi Tao has been awarded the 2016 National Scholarship for Excellent Self-Sponsored Studying Abroad Students. The award program is sanctioned by the Ministry of Education of The People's Republic of China. The award comes with a certificate and $6,000. Lizhi was awarded for her work in conducting EPR measurements on an enzyme that makes manganese oxide under the guidance of Professors Britt and Casey.
- 2015 Ph.D. alumna Lisa Anderson (Franz Lab) received a New England BioLabs Passion in Science Award for her work on biofuels and "Green Lab" initiative as a postdoc at MIT. She credits UC Davis and the Department of Chemistry in her award presentation.
- Gabby Nepomuceno (2015 alumna from the Shaw Lab) was recognized on August 1st by the California State Assembly and State Senate, alongside the rest of the 2016 CCST Science and Technology Policy Fellows, for her contributions and accomplishments as Capitol staff.
- Dr. Richard Larock was named a Senior Fellow of MPS.