There are many clearly marked bins for recycling throughout the department and on campus. Recycling helps conserve natural resources, save energy, protect the environment and reduce landfill waste. When we recycle, used materials are converted into new products, reducing the need to extract raw materials from the Earth through mining and forestry.
Did you know? Aluminum and glass can be recycled and remanufactured an infinite amount of times and never wear out!
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum trays and foil rinsed
- Steel and tin cans
- Lids from jars
No propane tanks, electronic or computer equipment
- Glass food jars
- Glass beer bottles
- Glass wine bottles
- Other glass food and beverage jars and bottles
No auto glass, ceramics, fluorescent light bulbs or tubes, incandescent light bulbs, mirrors, window glass, Pyrex®, porcelain, wine glasses, dishes/plates/bowls, glass vases
Plastics #1 thru #7
- Plastic #1 is found mostly in soda bottles, water bottles, salad dressing containers, mouthwash bottles and peanut butter containers.
- Plastic #2 is found mostly in milk jugs, household cleaner containers, juice bottles, shampoo bottles and detergent bottles.
- Plastics #3-7 (i.e. yogurt cups and Starbucks cold drink cups) have a limited recycling market, but they are now accepted in all Bottles/Cans/Glass recycling containers or mixed recyclables containers on campus.
Plastic air pillows, common in shipment packages, along with other types of plastic film (grocery bags, produce bags, food storage bags, etc.), are accepted for recycling in stores such as Safeway and Target. To find a drop off location near you, visit www.plasticfilmrecycling.org.
DO NOT put plastic film into campus or neighborhood curbside recycling containers.
- White or colored paper
- Sticky notes
- Paperboard (i.e. snack or cereal boxes)
- Paper grocery bags
- Junk mail
- Non-metallic wrapping paper
No tissues, paper towels or food-soiled paper (these can be composted), paper with plastic coatings (such as photographs or label backing), foil-lined paper
Wooden Pallets and Oversized Recyclables
Place a work order with Facilities to arrange for pick up and recycling at a nominal fee.