2020 Francesca Miller Undergraduate Research Award
The Francesca Miller Undergraduate Award will include a stipend ($4,000) to support summer research in the lab of a Chemistry Graduate Group PI. Applications are open to undergraduate students at UCD doing research broadly related to the topics of the symposium. It is expected that students applying are already working in the PI’s laboratory, and this award will allow them to dedicate more time to research. Students will be expected to commit to a minimum of 6-weeks for full-time research during the summer to be eligible. Students taking a full load of courses or who are not in Davis during the summer are not eligible. A condition of the award is presenting a Poster at the Miller Symposium. Both the student and PI should acknowledge conditions of the fellowship.
Previous winners are also not eligible. Applications are reviewed externally from the symposium by a designated Undergraduate Affairs committee.
- Prepare a brief (one- to two-page) description of your current and proposed research.
- Provide a copy of your transcript and CV.
- A cover letter from the student should include statements that they understand conditions of the award:
- (1) they will commit to at least 6 weeks full time research during the summer at UCD
- (2) they are not taking classes during the summer session and
- (3) they will present a poster at the Miller Symposium
- Request two recommendation letters (one from your research advisor). The PI should also indicate that they are aware of the requirement for 6 weeks of full-time research and that they will make sure the student adheres to this requirement.
- Applicants for the Francesca Miller Undergraduate Research Award must also submit an abstract for the poster session for the R.B. Miller Symposium (Thursday March 5, 4-7 PM). The award is contingent upon presenting at the poster session. Submit your abstract to the poster session (see separate document) and include a copy in the application.
- Application materials must be submitted to Perry Gee, email@example.com as a single PDF file by Friday, February 14. Letters of recommendation should be emailed separately.
Questions? Email Sheila David, at firstname.lastname@example.org