Non-Chemistry Graduate Students

The following are steps graduate students from outside of the Department of Chemistry must take to be considered for a TA position.

  1. Take the ACS (American Chemical Society) General Chemistry Placement Exam and score at or above the 70th percentile.
  2. Complete TA training through the department.
  3. If you are an international student and English is not your native language, provide evidence of earning a score of 50 or greater on the SPEAK Test or a "Pass" on the TOEP.

Please contact our Student Services Coordinator for the next available examination date.

About the Exam

  • 120 minutes
  • 70 multiple choice questions
  • You may use a scientific calculator (graphing calculators are not permitted)

Content is derived from three quarters (or two semesters) of General Chemistry and includes:

  • Atomic Structure
  • Molecular Structure and Bonding
  • Stoichiometry
  • States of Matter / Solutions
  • Energetics
  • Dynamics
  • Equilibrium
  • Electrochemistry / Redox
  • Descriptive Chemistry / Periodicity
  • Laboratory Chemistry
Please be aware that completing these steps only makes you eligible to teach in Chemistry; it does not guarantee that a position will be available.  Hiring preference is given to Chemistry graduate students in good standing.