How to Apply
Applications are now being accepted for Fall 2019 enrollment. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by 11:59PM PST on December 1, 2018.
If you have questions regarding the application or applying for our program, please refer to the information below and our Frequently Asked Questions page. You may also contact our Graduate Affairs Officer.
We require academic records for each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. See Submitting Your Transcripts for more details. (Current or former UC Davis students do not need to order UC Davis transcripts, with the exception of any UC Davis Extension coursework.)
- Official GRE General Test scores (we do not require the Subject Test)
- Institution Code: 4834
- Official TOEFL scores (international students who are not exempted)
- Institution Code: 4834
- Two Personal Essays
These are opportunities to highlight your undergraduate research experience and demonstrate your maturity and motivation for graduate study. See Statement of Purpose & Personal History and Diversity Statement for more details.
- Prior Experience
Please identify in this section (in this order):
- Prior research advisers
- Provide rationale for any pending/future coursework outlined in "Pending and Future Courses" section
- Three Letters of Recommendation
You will be asked to list the names and email addresses of the three individuals you have chosen to recommend you for admission, and they will receive instructions for uploading a letter.
- Publications and Awards
Please identify (in this order):
- Any published research
- Publications in preparation
- Publications you participated in
- A B.S. or B.A. in Chemistry, Physics (for the Chemical Physics emphasis) or related undergraduate major.
- Minimum 3.0/4.0 undergraduate cumulative GPA, with a greater emphasis on your performance in your major courses.
- No minimum requirement for GRE scores.
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score of 100 or equivalent (international students only who are not exempted).
English Requirement for International Students
International students from countries where English is not the native language are required to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores to demonstrate English proficiency. Scores are valid for up to two years after the testing date. You are exempted only if you are a native English speaker or have completed two full years at a university where English is the primary language of instruction at the time in which you apply.