How to Apply
If you have questions regarding the application or applying for our program, please refer to the information below and our Frequently Asked Questions page. You may also contact our Graduate Program Coordinator.
We require academic records for each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. See Submitting Your Transcripts for more details. (Current or former UC Davis students do not need to order UC Davis transcripts, with the exception of any UC Davis Extension coursework.)
- Official TOEFL scores (international students who are not exempted)
- Institution Code: 4834
- Two Personal Essays
These are opportunities to highlight your undergraduate research experience and demonstrate your maturity and motivation for graduate study. See Statement of Purpose & Personal History and Diversity Statement for more details.
- Prior Experience
Please identify in this section (in this order):
- Prior research advisers
- Provide rationale for any pending/future coursework outlined in "Pending and Future Courses" section
- Three Letters of Recommendation
You will be asked to list the names and email addresses of the three individuals you have chosen to recommend you for admission, and they will receive instructions for uploading a letter.
- Noteworthy Academic Achievements
Please identify (in this order):
- Any published research
- Publications in preparation
- Publications you participated in
- A B.S. or B.A. in Chemistry, Physics (for the Chemical Physics emphasis) or related undergraduate major.
- Minimum 3.0/4.0 undergraduate cumulative GPA, with a greater emphasis on your performance in your major courses.
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score of 100 or equivalent (international students only who are not exempted).
English Requirement for International Students
International students from countries where English is not the native language are required to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores to demonstrate English proficiency. Scores are valid for up to two years after the testing date. You are exempted only if you are a native English speaker or have completed two full years at a university where English is the primary language of instruction at the time in which you apply.
Application Fee Waivers
Application fees are only waived for applicants who have participated in or are affiliated with one or more of the graduate preparation programs listed below. Unfortunately we are not able to offer application fee waivers on any other basis (financial circumstances, participation in programs not listed below, etc.).
Applicants who are affiliated with these programs are required to indicate their participation AND must provide the name and contact information of their program coordinator in the "Other Information" section of the online application system. The application fee waiver will be applied immediately upon submission. Confirmation of the applicant's program participation takes place during application review.
- AGEP (Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate)
- BUILD (BUilding Infrastructure Leading to Diversity - NIH)
- Cal-Bridge Scholars
- CAMP (California Alliance for Minority Participation)
- Envision UC Davis program participants
- Gates Millennium Scholars
- GEM (National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science)
- Guardian Scholars Program (or if you have ever been in foster care)
- HSI Pathways to the Professoriate
- IMSD (Initiative for Maximizing Student Development - NIH)
- IRT (Institute for Recruitment of Teachers)
- LSAMP (Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation)
- MARC (Minority Access to Research Careers - NIH)
- MBRS (Minority Biomedical Research Support)
- McNair Scholars
- MMUF (Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship)
- NIH Bridges to the Baccalaureate
- NIH Bridges to the Doctorate
- PREP (Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program - NIH)
- RISE (Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement - NIH)
- Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholar (CSU)
- UC Davis AB540 and Undocumented Student Center Mentorship & Professional Development (MPD)
- UC Davis College of Engineering Equity Program participants
- UC-HBCU Initiative Summer Research Program
- UC LEADS (Leadership Excellence through Advanced Degrees)
- UCDGAP (Graduate Admissions Pathways)