October 30: Per the UC Davis Office of Research, the campus is now at Phase 2X of the research ramp up. Please continue to work with your research advisor and review department guidance for next steps.
Congratulations to Assistant Professor Jesús M. Velázquez, who has received a notice of award from the NSF CAREER program. His project is entitled Blueprint for Unlocking New Energy Conversion Functionality in Chalcogenide Frameworks through Precisely Designed Composition, Electronic Structure and Surface Coordination.
- Dr. Cynthia M. Friend, a graduate of UC Davis Chemistry (Class of '77) has been named as the next president of the Kavli Foundation.
- The LibreTexts free textbook project, spearheaded by Prof. Delmar Larsen, reaches a milestone of a half billion page views and nearly 4,000 student-years of study time.
- Congratulations to Elizabeth Lotsof (David lab) for taking the first-place prize for Best Poster Presentation (student) at the 2020 Environmental Mutagenesis & Genomics Society Annual Meeting!
- How does nature make an efficient organometallic hydrogenase catalyst employing toxic CO and CN-? Check out the H-cluster biosynthesis perspective by Britt, Rao, and Tao.
- Congratulations to the Heffern Lab for receiving the top honor within the College of Letters and Science for the 2020 UC Davis Lab Safety Awards!
- Bill Jackson (Professor Emeritus) was awarded the American Physical Society’s Julius Edgar Lilienfeld Prize “for outstanding contributions to fundamental chemical physics and spectroscopy associated with asteroids and comets, and for exemplary teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as lifelong service and inspiration to a diverse community."
- Osvaldo Gutierrez, an alum of the Tantillo lab, was recently named one of Chemical & Engineering News' Talented Twelve for his work with carbon-carbon bonds. We send cheers and well wishes to Dr. Gutierrez from UC Davis as he is now currently at the University of Maryland.
- Congratulations to Assistant Professor David E. Olson on recently being named the 2020 recipient of the Jordi Folch-Pi Memorial Award from the American Society of Neurochemistry!
- Distinguished Professor David Britt and coworkers have published a review in Nature Reviews Chemistry titled "Bioassembly of complex iron–sulfur enzymes: hydrogenases and nitrogenases".
- Congratulations to Assistant Professor Jesús Velázquez for being selected to participate as a Scialog Fellow to participate in the 2020 Scialog: Negative Emissions Science Initiative.
- Our department fondly remembers Professor Jim Swinehart, an Inorganic Chemistry member of the department from 1963 to 1994, who passed away this June. A remembrance page is available here.
- Congratulations to Professor Annaliese Franz who has been awarded a Science Translation and Innovative Research (STAIR) grant! The research project is titled "Developing an Algae Ruminant Feed Additive to Reduce Methane Emissions".
- The Editors of Nature Communications has selected a Britt and Yu/Ribbe (UC Irvine) lab publication for the Editors’ Highlights webpage of recent research on Organic Chemistry and Chemical Biology.
- Congratulations to Lam Lab graduate students Shabnam Jafari and Diedra Shorty for their venture, StarBio, winning both the $20,000 first prize and the $10,000 Health Sector Award at the 20th annual Big Bang! Business Competition at UC Davis! Congratulations to you both!
- Graduate Student Fatima Hussian finished the Grad Slam as a finalist. Congratulations!
Catalyzing Enantioselective Si–H Insertions for Silicon-centered Chirality
New Franz Lab research published in J. Am. Chem. Soc.