June 1: Per the UC Davis Office of Research, the campus is prepared to start Phase 2 of the research ramp up on Monday, June 1. Please continue to work with your research advisor and review department guidance for next steps.
- Bill Jackson (Professor Emeritus) was awarded the American Physical Society’s Julius Edgar Lilienfeld Prize “for outstanding contributions to fundamental chemical physics and spectroscopy associated with asteroids and comets, and for exemplary teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as lifelong service and inspiration to a diverse community."
- Osvaldo Gutierrez, an alum of the Tantillo lab, was recently named one of Chemical & Engineering News' Talented Twelve for his work with carbon-carbon bonds. We send cheers and well wishes to Dr. Gutierrez from UC Davis as he is now currently at the University of Maryland.
- Congratulations to Assistant Professor David E. Olson on recently being named the 2020 recipient of the Jordi Folch-Pi Memorial Award from the American Society of Neurochemistry!
- Distinguished Professor David Britt and coworkers have published a review in Nature Reviews Chemistry titled "Bioassembly of complex iron–sulfur enzymes: hydrogenases and nitrogenases".
- Congratulations to Assistant Professor Jesús Velázquez for being selected to participate as a Scialog Fellow to participate in the 2020 Scialog: Negative Emissions Science Initiative.
- Our department fondly remembers Professor Jim Swinehart, an Inorganic Chemistry member of the department from 1963 to 1994, who passed away this June. A remembrance page is available here.
- Congratulations to Professor Annaliese Franz who has been awarded a Science Translation and Innovative Research (STAIR) grant! The research project is titled "Developing an Algae Ruminant Feed Additive to Reduce Methane Emissions".
- The Editors of Nature Communications has selected a Britt and Yu/Ribbe (UC Irvine) lab publication for the Editors’ Highlights webpage of recent research on Organic Chemistry and Chemical Biology.
- Assistant Professor Jesús Velázquez has won the 2020 Dean's Collaborative Research Award (DECOR) and secured a 2020 New Research Initiative and Interdisciplinary Research Grant. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Lam Lab graduate students Shabnam Jafari and Diedra Shorty for their venture, StarBio, winning both the $20,000 first prize and the $10,000 Health Sector Award at the 20th annual Big Bang! Business Competition at UC Davis! Congratulations to you both!
- Assistant Professor Jesús Velázquez is featured in a Science magazine highlight of this year's Cottrell Scholars.
- Graduate Student Fatima Hussian finished the Grad Slam as a finalist. Congratulations!
- Assistant Professor David Olson's interview and researcher profile has been published in ACS Chemical Neuroscience.
- Congratulations to Jayashri Viswanathan, currently an undergraduate researcher in the Olson Lab, for winning the prestigious Barry Goldwater Scholarship!
- Dr. Tracy Caldwell Dyson, a NASA astronaut and Chemistry Ph.D., was featured in a NASA tweet describing life in isolation on the Space Station.
Fast Hydrogen Evolution Mediated by Cobalt Carbonyl Cluster
New Berben lab research published in J. Am. Chem. Soc.