Professor and Interim Department Chair
The Shaw group focuses on the development of new reactions and the stereoselective synthesis of natural products and other biologically active molecules. We recently developed a novel four component reaction (4CR) that is being applied to the assembly of several complex polycyclic alkaloids and transcription factor inhibitors. We are also synthesizing several natural products that target bacteria resistant to current antibiotics.
Education, Awards and Professional Highlights
- Distinguished Teaching Award for Undergraduate Teaching, UC Davis (2018)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2017)
- NSF CAREER Award (2009)
- Appointed to UC Davis faculty (2007)
- Institute Fellow, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT (2005-07)
- Institute Fellow, Harvard Medical School (2002-2005)
- Amgen Research Award (2005)
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship, Harvard University (1999-2001)
- Ph.D. University of California, Irvine (1999)
- E. K. C. Lee Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies and Research (1998)
- ACS Division of Organic Chemistry Graduate Fellowship (1997)
- GAANN Fellowship, U.S. Department of Education (1994-1996)
- B.S. University of California, Berkeley (1993)
- "Synthesis of Benzodihydrofurans by Asymmetric C–H Insertion Reactions of Donor/Donor Carbenoids." K. N. Lamb, R. A. Squitieri, S. R. Chintala, A. J. Kwong, E. I. Balmond, C. Soldi, O. Dmitrenko, M. C. Reis, R. Chung, J. B. Addison, J. C. Fettinger, J. E. Hein, D. J. Tantillo, J. M. Fox, J. T. Shaw. 2017, Chem. Eur. J., in press.
- "Diastereoselective Base-Catalyzed Formal [4+2] Cycloadditions of N-Sulfonyl Imines and Cyclic Anhydrides." S. W. Laws, L. C. Moore, M. J. Di Maso, Q. Nhu N. Nguyen, D. J. Tantillo, J. T. Shaw. Org. Lett. 2017, in press.
- "Targeting Quinolone and Aminocoumarin-Resistant Bacteria with New Gyramide Analogs That Inhibit DNA Gyrase." K. A. Hurley, T. M. A. Santos, M. R. Fensterwald, M. Rajendran, J. T. Moore, E. I. Balmond, B. J. Blahnik, K. C. Faulkner, M. H. Foss, V. A. Heinrich, M. G. Lammers, L. C. Moore, G. D. Reynolds, G. P. Shearn-Nance, B. A. Stearns, Zi W. Yao, J. T. Shaw, D. B. Weibel. MedChemComm. 2017, in press.
- "Synthesis of Bisavenanthramide B-6 by an Anionic Anhydride Mannich Reaction." M. J. Di Maso, G. M. Nepomuceno, M. A. St. Peter, H. H. Gitre, K. S. Martin, J. T. Shaw. Org. Lett. 2016, 1740-1743.
- "Diastereoselective Synthesis of and Mechanistic Understanding for the Formation of 2-Piperidinones from Imines and Cyano-Substituted Anhydrides." M J. Di Maso, K. M. Snyder, F. D. Fernandes, O. Pattawong, D Q. Tan, J. C. Fettinger, P. H.-Y. Cheong, J. T. Shaw. Chem. Eur. J., 2016, 4794-4801.
- "Targeting the Bacterial Division Protein FtsZ." K. A. Hurley, T. M. A. Santos, G. M. Nepomuceno, J. T. Shaw, D. B. Weibel. J. Med. Chem., 2016, 6975-6998.
- "Synthesis of the Diaryl Ether Cores Common to Chrysophaentins A, E and F." A. J. Brockway, C. I. Grove, M. E. Mahoney, J. T. Shaw. Tetrahedron Lett., 2015, 3396-3401. Symposium in Print in Memory of Prof. Harry Wasserman. PMCID: in progress
- "Synthesis and Evaluation of Quinazolines as Inhibitors of the Bacterial Cell Division Protein FtsZ." G. M. Nepomuceno, K. M. Chan, V. Huynh, K. S. Martin, J. T. Moore, T. E. O’Brien, L. A. E. Pollo, F. J. Sarabia, C. Tadeus, Z. Yao, D. E. Anderson, J. B. Ames and J. T. Shaw. ACS Med. Chem. Lett., 2015, 308-312.
- "Enantioselective Intramolecular C-H Insertion Reactions of 'Donor-Donor' Metal Carbenoids." C. Soldi, K. N. Lamb, R. A. Squitieri, M. González-López, M. J. Di Maso, J. T. Shaw. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2014, 15142-15145.