The focus of the group is in the development of analytical tools based on advanced separation and mass spectrometry in two areas—nutrition and diseases. We are developing mass spectrometry based tools for the discovery of markers for cancer including ovarian, breast, and prostate. We are pioneering the glycomic approach for the early diagnosis of cancer. In nutrition we are examining human milk as the model for the perfect food and determining bioactive components in milk.
Education, Awards and Professional Highlights
- Distinguished Professor, UC Davis (2015-Present)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Molecular and Cellular Proteomics (2014-Present)
- Severino and Paz Koh Lectureship in Science, PAASE (2010)
- Chair, Department of Chemistry, UC Davis (2008-2011)
- Executive Board, American Society for Mass Spectrometry (2007-2009)
- Professor, School of Medicine, Department of Biological Chemistry, UC Davis (2004-Present)
- NIH BECM Study Section - Chartered Panel Member (2003-2008)
- National Science Foundation Extension for Creativity (2003)
- Co-Chief Editor, Mass Spectrometry Reviews (2002-Present)
- Editorial Advisory Board, International Journal of Mass Spectrometry (2000-2016)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Mass Spectrometry Reviews (1998-Present)
- Professor, Department of Chemistry, UC Davis (1996-2015)
- Editorial Advisory Board, European Journal of Mass Spectrometry (1995-2017)
- Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, UC Davis (1995-1996)
- Stockton Unified School District Alumni of the Year (1995)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, UC Davis (1989-1995)
- University of California President's PostDoctoral Fellow (July 1988-August 1989)
- NATO-NSF Postdoctoral Fellow (October 1986-November 1987)
- Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow (October 1985-September 1986)
- Sialylated Milk Oligosaccharides Promote Microbiota-Dependent Growth in Models of Infant Undernutrition MR Charbonneau, D O’Donnell, LV Blanton, SM Totten JCC Davis, MJ Barratt, J Cheng, J Guruge, M Talcott, J R Bain, M J Muehlbauer, O Ilkayeva, C Wu, T Struckmeyer, D Barile, C Mangani, J Jorgensen, YM Fan, K Maleta, K G Dewey, P Ashorn, C B Newgard, CB Lebrilla, D A Mills, J I Gordon. Cell 2016, 164, 859-871.
- A microbial perspective of human developmental biology MR Charbonneau, LV Blanton, DB DiGiulio, DA Relman, CB Lebrilla, DA Mills, JI Gordon Nature 2016, 535, 48-55
- Absolute Quantitation of human milk oligosaccharides reveals phenotypic variations during lactation G Xu, JCC Davis, E Goonatilleke, JT Smilowitz, JB German, CB Lebrilla The Journal of Nutrition 2016, 147, 117-1124.
- High-mannose glycans are elevated during breast cancer progression. MLA de Leoz, LJT Young, HJ An, SR Kronewitter, J Kim, S Miyamoto, AD Borowsky, HK Chew, CB Lebrilla Molecular & Cellular Proteomics 2011, 10, M110.
- Human milk glycobiome and its impact on the infant gastrointestinal microbiota. AM Zivkovic, JB German, CB Lebrilla, DA Mills Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2011, 108, 4653-4658.
- The genome sequence of Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis reveals adaptations for milk utilization within the infant microbiome. DA Sela, J Chapman, A Adeuya, JH Kim, F Chen, TR Whitehead, A Lapidus, DS Rokhsar, CB Lebrilla, JB German, NP Price, PM Richardson, DA Mills Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2008, 105, 18964.
- Characteristic Changes in Cell Surface Glycosylation Accompany Intestinal Epithelial Cell (IEC) Differentiation: High Mannose Structures Dominate the Cell Surface Glycome of Undifferentiated Enterocytes. D Park, KA Brune, A Mitra, AI Marusina, E Maverakis, CB Lebrilla Molecular & Cellular Proteomics 2015, 14, 2910-2921.
- A Method for In-Depth Structural Annotation of Human Serum Glycans That Yields Biological Variations T Song. D Aldredge, CB Lebrilla Analytical Chemistry 2015, 87, 7754-7762.
- Glycans in the immune system and The Altered Glycan Theory of Autoimmunity: A critical review E Maverakis. K Kim, M Shimoda, ME Gershwin, F Patel, R Wilken, S Raychaudhuri, LR Ruhaak, CB Lebrilla Journal of Autoimmunity 2015, 57, 1-13.