Distinguished Professor Emeritus
Distinguished Professor Emeritus
5466 Chemistry Annex
Professor Casey is interested in the reactions between water, rock and minerals. Many weathering phenomena involve reactions with water on mineral surfaces, something which can be mimicked in the laboratory by studying the aqueous chemistry of metal aquo clusters by heteronuclear NMR and MS. Other interests include crystal growth, general cluster chemistry, bio-inorganic chemistry, and chemistry from an environmental aspect.
Education, Awards and Professional Highlights
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2017)
- Clair C. Patterson Award, Geochemical Society (2016)
- Appointed to UC Davis faculty (1991)
- Sandia National Labratories (1985-1990)
- Ph.D. Pennsylvania State University (1985)
- M.S. University of California, Davis (1980)
- B.A. University of the Pacific (1976)
- Wimpenny, J., Colla, C. A., Yin, Q.-Z., Rustad, J. R. and Casey, W. H. (2013) Investigating the behavior of Mg isotopes during the formation of clay minerals. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta. (submitted).
- Colla, C. A., Wimpenny, J., Yin Q-Z, Rustad, J. R. and Casey, W. H. (2012) Calcium-isotope fractionation between solution and solids with six, seven or eight oxygens bound to Ca(II). Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta (submitted).
- Johnson, R.L., Ohlin, C. A, Pellegrini, K., Burns, P. C. and Casey, W. H. (2013) Dynamics of a nanometer-sized uranyl cluster in solution. Andgewandte Chemi (in press.).
- Birkner, N., Nayeri, S, Pashaei,B, Najafpour, M. M., Casey, W. H,, and Navrotsky, A. N. (2013) Energetic basis of catalytic activity of layered nanophase calcium manganese oxides for water oxidation. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 110, 8801-8806. doi:10.1073/pnas.1306623110
- Son, J-H., Ohlin, C. A and Casey, W. H. (2012) Highly soluble FeIIIand NiII-substituted polyoxoniobates with volatile counterions. Dalton Trans. 2013, 42 (21), 7529 - 7533
- Son, J-H., Ohlin, C. A., Larsen, E., Yu, P-Y, and Casey, W. H. (2012) A soluble phosphorus-centered Keggin polyoxoniobate with bicapping vanadium. Chem.-A European Journal 19(16), 5191-5197 doi: 10.1002/chem.201204563
- Son, J-H., Ohlin, C. A., Larsen, E., Yu, P-Y, and Casey, W. H. (2012) Synthesis of soluble vanadium-substituted Keggin polyoxoniobate cluster: (TMA)9[VNb12O40(VO)2] with ESI-MS and 51V NMR. Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2013, 1748-1752 DOI: 10.1002/ejic.201201056
- Panasci, A. F., Ohlin, C. André, Harley, S.J. and Casey, W. H. (2012) Rates of water exchange on the [Fe4(OH)2(hpdta)2(H2O)4]o molecule and its implications for geochemistry. Inorganic Chemistry 51, 6731-6738. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ic300370q
- Harley, S. J., Mason, H. E., McAlpin, G. J., Britt, R. D. and Casey, W. H. (2012) A 31P NMR investigation of the CoPi water-oxidation catalyst. Chem. Eur. J.. 18, 10476-10479. DOI: 10.1002/chem.201201292 Cover article and highlighted by Angewandte Chemie: doi/10.1002/anie.201283413/abstract
- Rustad, J. R. and Casey, W. H. (2012) Metastable structures and isotope exchange reactions in polyoxometalate ions provide a molecular view of oxide dissolution. Nature Materials 11, 223-225. doi:10.1038/nmat3203
(See associated News and Views Commentary by Paul Fenter, Nature Materials 11, 183-184 doi:10.1038/nmat3252).