Research activities are focused in the following areas:
- The conversion of plant biomass into organic molecules of interest as fuels and value-added products.
- The design and synthesis of topologically and theoretically interesting organic molecules, particularly bowl-shaped heterotriquinanes and heteroacepentalenes.
- Highly selective cation and anion sandwich complexation in cylindrophane hosts.
- The concise sythesis of medicinally important heterocycles, particularly extracyclic indole alkaloids.
- The application of non-covalent design principles, particularly hydrogen bonding, to the control of molecular association.
- The computational investigation of non-covalent interactions and their application to novel receptor design.
Education, Awards and Professional Highlights
- Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis (2011)
- Associate Professor, Department of Chemsitry, University of California, Davis (2007)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis (2003)
- Donald J. Cram Teacher-Scholar and Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles (2000-2003)
- NSF CAREER Award
- ConocoPhillips $50K Energy Prize
- Editorial Board, ChemSusChem
- Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Alternative Energy at Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden (2012-2013)
- "Direct, High-Yield Conversion of Cellulose into Biofuel," M. Mascal, E. B. Nikitin, Angewandte Chem. Int. Ed. 2008, 47, 7924.
- "Oxatriquinane and Oxatriquinacene: Extraordinary Oxonium Ions," M. Mascal, N. Hafezi, N. K. Meher, J. C. Fettinger, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 13532.
- "Towards the Efficient, Total Glycan Utilization of Biomass," M. Mascal, E. B. Nikitin, ChemSusChem 2009, 2, 423.
- "1,4,7-Trimethyloxatriquinane: SN2 Reaction at Tertiary Carbon," M. Mascal, N. Hafezi, M. D. Toney, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 10662.
- "Azatriquinane as a Platform for Novel, Conformationally Rigid Tripodal Metal Complexes and Calixiform Scaffolds," M. Jevric, T. Zheng, N. K. Meher, J. C. Fettinger, M. Mascal, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 717.
- "Concise Photochemical Synthesis of the Antimalarial Indole Alkaloid Decursivine," M. Mascal, K. V. Modes, A. Durmus, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 4445.
- "Putting Anion–π Interactions Into Perspective," A. Frontera, P. Gamez, M. Mascal, T. J. Mooibroek, J. Reedijk, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 9564.
- "The R3O+...H+ Hydrogen Bond: Toward a Tetracoordinate Oxadionium(2+) Ion," E. S. Stoyanov, G. Gunbas, N. Hafezi, M. Mascal, I. V. Stoyanova, F. S. Tham, C. A. Reed, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 707.
- "Extreme oxatriquinanes and a record C‒O bond length," G. Gunbas, N. Hafezi, W. L. Sheppard, M. M. Olmstead, I. V. Stoyanova, F. S. Tham, M. P. Meyer, M. Mascal, Nature Chem. 2012, 4, 1018.