Research activities are focused in the following areas:
- The conversion of plant biomass into organic molecules of interest as fuels and value-added products.
- The design and synthesis of topologically and theoretically interesting organic molecules, particularly bowl-shaped heterotriquinanes and heteroacepentalenes.
- The concise synthesis of medicinally important molecules, particularly extracyclic indole alkaloids and cannabinoids.
- Highly selective anion and cation complexation in cylindrophane hosts.
- The application of non-covalent design principles, particularly hydrogen bonding, to the control of molecular association.
- The computational investigation of non-covalent interactions and their application to novel receptor design.
Education, Awards and Professional Highlights
- Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis (2011-present)
- Associate Professor, Department of Chemsitry, University of California, Davis (2007)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis (2003)
- Donald J. Cram Teacher-Scholar and Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles (2000-2003)
- NSF CAREER Award
- ConocoPhillips 50K Energy Prize
- Editorial Board, ChemSusChem
- Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Alternative Energy at Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden
- "Butenolide Derivatives of Biobased Furans: Sustainable Synthetic Dyes." J. Saska, Z. Li, A. L. Otsuki, J. Wei, J. C. Fettinger, M. Mascal, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 17293.
- "Synthetic, non-intoxicating 8,9-dihydrocannabidiol for the mitigation of seizures." M. Mascal, N. Hafezi, D. Wang, Y. Hu, G. Serra, M. L. Dallas, J. P. E. Spencer, Scientific Reports 2019, 9, 1-6.
- "A Zwitterionic, 10pi Aromatic Hemisphere." N. Hafezi, W. T. Shewa, J. C. Fettinger, M. Mascal, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 14141.
- "The Angelica Lactone Dimer as a Renewable Feedstock for Hydrodeoxygenation: Simple, High-Yield Synthesis of Branched C7-C10 Gasoline Hydrocarbons." M. Mascal, S. Dutta, I. Gandarias, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53, 1854.
- "Extreme Oxatriquinanes: Structural Characterization of α-Oxyoxonium Species with Extraordinarily Long Carbon-Oxygen Bonds." G. Gunbas, W. L. Sheppard, J. C. Fettinger, M. M. Olmstead, M. Mascal, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 8173.
- "The R3O+…H+ Hydrogen Bond: Toward a Tetracoordinate Oxadionium(2+) Ion." E. S. Stoyanov, G. Gunbas, N. Hafezi, M. Mascal, I. V. Stoyanova, F. S. Tham, C. A. Reed, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 707-714.
- "Extreme oxatriquinanes and a record C‒O bond length." G. Gunbas, N. Hafezi, W. L. Sheppard, M. M. Olmstead, I. V. Stoyanova, F. S. Tham, M. P. Meyer, M. Mascal, Nature Chem. 2012, 4, 1018.