- UC Davis is building one of the world's strongest research programs in solid state science, which includes the recent addition of three new Chemistry faculty members: Alexander Dudnik, Kristie Koski and Jesús Velázquez.
- "Glycerol-chomping cyanobacteria work night and day to produce polymer precursors" from C&EN, featuring the work of Professor Shota Atsumi and his research group.
- Department manager Jessica Potts has been selected to serve on the advisory committee to appoint the new UC Davis Chancellor. More information about the committee may be found here.
- Postdoc Daniel Suess (Britt Lab) has accepted an Assistant Professor position in the Department of Chemistry at MIT. His research group will study redox reactions that underpin global biogeochemical cycles, metabolism and energy conversion.
- From C&EN: "Showcasing natural products in the gardens they come from" - Two exhibits in the UC Davis Arboretum educate visitors about chemicals found in plants.
- UC Davis has been ranked as the #1 best value college for women in STEM by Forbes magazine, topping such heavyweights as Cornell and Johns Hopkins.
[ more News⇒ ]
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Henry "Hoby" Wedler Named One of Sacramento Business Journal's 40 Under 40
- Professors Sheila David and Annaliese Franz were awarded $10,000 Mentoring at Critical Transitions Fellowships by Graduate Studies to provide support for their graduate student mentees.
- Our Chemistry Club and ACS Student Chapter received a Commendable Award for their program and activities conducted during the 2015-16 academic year.
- Professor Frank Osterloh has been named a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Gabby Nepomuceno (2015 alumna from the Shaw Lab) was recognized on August 1st by the California State Assembly and State Senate, alongside the rest of the 2016 CCST Science and Technology Policy Fellows, for her contributions and accomplishments as Capitol staff.
- Undergraduate student Joe Mazetti (Kovnir Lab) was awarded a Fall 2016 Provost's Undergraduate Fellowship from the Undergraduate Research Center.
- Professor Kyle Crabtree was named a 2016-17 UC Davis Hellman Fellow. The Hellman Family Foundation contributed funds to establish this program to provide support and encouragement for the research of promising Assistant Professors who exhibit potential for great distinction in their research and who have documented a need for funding.
- Professor Ozcan Gulacar was selected to receive a Committee on Research grant. This research award program is intended to provide seed funds that will lead to outside grant applications, support new collaborative research that crosses departmental or college boundaries, as well as provide continued support for ongoing research activities.
- Graduate student Brandi Hudson (Tantillo Lab) was selected to receive the Allen G. Marr Prize in "honor of superior dissertation work." Her dissertation is titled, "Non-Covalent Interactions and Complex Reaction Mechanisms of Organic Molecules."
- Graduate student Cody Yothers (Franz Lab) was selected for a NIH Training Program in Biomolecular Technology. This training grant is one of only four biotechnology training programs in California.
[ more Honors and Awards⇒ ]
Cody Palumbo interviews students and professors at the annual UC Davis Chemical Biology Program Retreat.
[ click for Videos⇒ ]
"The Department of Chemistry is committed to fostering a multicultural academic environment that supports the success of all members of our community, with the belief that this diversity strengthens and enriches our research, scholarship and teaching."
[ click for Resources⇒ ]