- On Capital Public Radio: "Reefer Sanity." Professor Don Land is a guest on Insight.
- The Department celebrated National Chemistry Week at Sacramento's Discovery Museum. This year's theme was "Chemistry Colors Our World!" A group of our faculty, staff and students led exciting activities and demonstrations exploring florescence, chemical indicators and color-changing chemistry with area families. Professor Kyle Crabtree shared some of their demonstrations on Good Day Sacramento.
- A group of faculty led by Professor Kirill Kovnir have successfully secured NSF MRI funding for a modern single crystal X-ray diffractometer. A joint effort of Professors Alan Balch, Louise Berben, Susan Kauzlarich, Mark Mascal, Marilyn Olmstead, Phil Power and staff crystallographer Jim Fettinger resulted in acquiring a new instrument superior to the currently available diffractometers in the departmental X-ray facility.
- The Department welcomes five new faculty hires: Julia Chamberlain and Ozcan Gulacar (Education), Lee-Ping Wang and Davide Donadio (Theory), and David Olson (Chemical Biology).
- Professor Annaliese Franz received a grant from the California Energy Commission (CEC) on "Improving microalgae feedstock for biofuel production using CO2 and waste nutrients from anaerobic digesters." This grant program funds projects that emphasize "transformative techology solutions to significant biofuels industry problems that increase yields, productivity or cost effectiveness of biofuel productions; and/or that target a specific unmet need in California's biofuels industry."
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Professor Xi Chen was named a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Dr. Chen is among four UC Davis researchers and 347 AAAS fellows nationwide for 2015 honored for their contributions to innovation, education and scientific leadership.
- Our Chemistry Club received an Honorable Mention Award by the ACS for their program and activities conducted during the 2014-15 academic year. There are over 900 student chapters nationally, and commendable awards were given to 99 chapters.
- Professor Bill Jackson was selected to receive the 2016 UC Davis Distinguished Emeritus Award for his continuing involvement in teaching and mentoring and his dedication to equal opportunity and diversity. He will be honored at the Chancellor's luncheon in late January.
[ more Honors and Awards⇒ ]
Make a Gift