How to Apply for the Ph.D.
Application Information for the Ph.D. Program
The deadline to submit an application for Fall 2017 enrollment was December 1, 2016. Applications received after this date through May 1, 2017 will be reviewed only on a space available basis. Please contact our Graduate Affairs Officer prior to applying at this stage. The online application is available here.
General Deadline: December 1, 2016
"Space Available" Deadline: May 1, 2017
If you have questions regarding the application or applying for our program, please refer to the information below and our "Frequently Asked Questions" page. You may also contact our Graduate Affairs Officer.
If you are interested in the M.S. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, please note this is a separate degree program with additional admission requirements, including specific prerequisite courses. Furthermore, students in this program are not offered financial support with admission.
- Transcripts: UC Davis requires academic records for each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. For more details, please visit here.
- If you are a current or former UC Davis student, you do not need to order UC Davis transcripts with the exception of any UC Davis Extension coursework.
- Official GRE General Test scores (the Subject Test is not required)
- Institution Code: 4834
- Official TOEFL scores (international students who are not exempted)
- Institution Code: 4834
- Department Code: 62
- Two Personal Essays: These are opportunities to highlight your undergraduate research experience and demonstrate your maturity and motivation for graduate study. For more details on the essays, visit here.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: You will be asked to list the names and email addresses of the three individuals you have chosen to recommend you for admission, and they will receive instructions for uploading a letter.
Your application will not be reviewed until all items above have been received.
- A B.S. or B.A. in Chemistry, Physics (for the Chemical Physics emphasis) or related undergraduate major.
- Minimum 3.0/4.0 undergraduate cumulative GPA, with a greater emphasis on your performance in your major courses.
- No minimum requirement for GRE scores.
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score of 100 or equivalent (international students only who are not exempted).
English Requirement for International Students
International students from countries where English is not the native language are required to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores to demonstrate English proficiency. Scores are valid for up to two years after the testing date. You are exempted only if you are a native English speaker or have completed two full years at a university where English is the primary language of instruction at the time in which you apply.