Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley
Our research interests are in physical chemistry and chemical physics, focusing in the general area of state-selected and state-to-state spectroscopy and dynamics. By employing high resolution photoionization and photoelectron methods, we are actively engaging in the study of chemical structure, energetics, and reactivity of ions and neutrals. We are particularly interested in developing new experimental methods to advance these research fields. Recent advances include the introduction of two-color infrared-vacuum ultraviolet (IR-VUV) and VUV-VUV laser photoexcitation schemes for photoionization and photodissociation studies. We have also succeeded in implementing a novel high-resolution VUV pulsed field ionization method for the preparation ions in single rovibronic states, which has allowed the examination of translational, rotational, vibrational, and electronic energy effect on chemical reactivity. These new methods are being applied to the study of neutrals and ions of relevance to combustion, catalysis, atmospheric, planetary, and interstellar chemistry.
Education, Awards and Professional Highlights
- Visiting Distinguished Chair Professor, National Taiwan University (2013)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Chemical Physics (July 2010-December 2014)
- Dean of Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (September 2009-August 2012)
- Associate Editor, Chinese Journal of Chemical Physics (2006-present)
- Elected Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2005)
- Distinguished Professor, UC Davis (2001-present)
- Senior Humboldt Research Award (1998)
- Senior Fellow, Japanese Society for Promotion of Science (1997)
- Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University (1996-2001)
- Iowa Regents Award for Faculty Excellence (1994)
- Editor-in-charge, Advances Series in Physical Chemistry, World Scientific Book Series (1993-present)
- Elected Fellow, American Physical Society (1993)
- Founding Chairman of the Gordon Research Conference Series, Structures, Energetics and Reaction Dynamics of Gaseous Ions, Ventura, California (1991-present)
- Honorary Professor, Zhengzhou University, China (1985)
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar (1982)
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellow (1981)
- Assistant (1977), Associate (1982) and Full Professor of Chemistry (1986-1996), Iowa State University
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley (1976)
- B. S. Chung Chi College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (1971)
- Hongwei Song, Anyang Li, Hua Guo, Yuntao Xu, Bo Xiong, Yih-Chung Chang, and C. Y. Ng, "Comparison of Experimental and Theoretical Quantum-state-selected Integral Cross Sections for the H2O+ + H2 (D2) Reactions in the Collision Energy Range of 0.04-10.00 eV", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 18, 22509 (2016). DOI: 10.1039/c6cp04598g
- Yuntao Xu, Bo Xiong, Yih Chung Chang, and C. Y. Ng, "Absolute integral cross sections for the state-selected ion-molecule reaction N2+(X2Σg+; v+ = 0-2) + C2H2 in the collision energy range of 0.03-10.00 eV", Astrophysical Journal, 827, 17 (2016). doi:10.3847/0004-637X/827/1/17
- Zhou Lu, Hong Gao, Yuntao Xu, Lei Yang, Chow-Shing Lam, Yanice Benitez, and C. Y. Ng, "High-resolution threshold photoelectron spectroscopy by vacuum ultraviolet laser velocity-map-imaging method", Chinese J. Chem. Phys. (invited), 29, 59-69 (2016). DOI:10.1063/1674-0068/29/cjcp1512247
- Yu Song, Hong Gao, Yih Chung Chang, D. Hammoutène, H. Ndome, M. Hochlaf, William M. Jackson, and C. Y. Ng, "Quantum-state-control of product branching ratios in vacuum ultraviolet photodissociation of N2", Astrophysical Journal, 819, 23 (2016). DOI:10.3847 /0004-637X/819/1/23.
- Zhihong Luo, Yih-Chung Chang, Yi, Pan, Kai-Chung Lau, C. Y. Ng, "Rotationally Resolved State-to-State Photoelectron Study of Molybdenum Monoxide Cation (MoO+)", J. Phys. Chem. A (2015). DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpca.5b07939.
- Lei Yang, Hong Gao, Jingang Zhou, and C. Y. Ng, "Vacuum ultraviolet laser photoion and pulsed field ionization-photoion study of Rydberg series of chlorine atoms prepared in the 2PJ (J = 3/2 and 1/2) fine-structure states", Astrophysical Journal, 810, 132 (2015). DOI:10.1088/0004-637X/2/132.
- Yih-Chung Chang, Zhihong Luo, Zheng Zhang, Qing-Zhu Yin and C. Y. Ng ""Rotationally resolved state-to-state photoionization and photoelectron study of vanadium carbide and its cation (VC/VC+)", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 17, 9780-9793 (2015), DOI: 10.1039/C5CP00371G.
- Zhihong Luo, Yih-Chung Chang, Zheng Zhang, and C. Y. Ng "Rotationally resolved state-to-state photoelectron study of zirconium monoxide cation (ZrO+)", Molecular Physics, 113, 2528 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00268976.2015.1021726.
- Cheuk-Yiu Ng, "State-to-state spectroscopy and dynamics of ions and neutrals by photoionization and photoelectron methods", Annual Review Physical Chemistry, 65, 197-224 (2014).
- Zhou Lu, Yih-Chung Chang, Qing-Zhu Yin, C. Y. Ng, and W. M. Jackson, "Evidence for direct molecular oxygen production in CO2 photodissociation", Science 346, 61 (2014).