Professor, 2011-present, Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis.
Associate Professor, 2007-2011, Department of Chemsitry, University of California, Davis.
Assistant Professor, 2003-2007, Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis.
Donald J. Cram Teacher-Scholar and Visiting Assistant Professor, 2000-2003, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles.
NSF Career Award
ConocoPhillips $50K Energy Prize
Editorial Board, ChemSusChem
2012-2013 Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Alternative Energy at Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden
|Principal Research Interests|
Research activities are focused in the following areas:
1) The conversion of plan biomass into organic molecules of interest as fuels and value-added products.
2) The design and synthesis of topologically and theoretically interesting organic molecules, particularly bowl-shaped heterotriquinanes and heteroacepentalenes.
3) Highly selective cation and anion sandwich complexation in cylindrophane hosts.
4) The concise sythesis of medicinally important heterocycles, particularly extracyclic indole alkaloids.
5) The application of non-covalent design principles, particularly hydrogen bonding, to the control of molecular association.
6) The computational investigation of non-covalent interactions and their application to novel receptor design.
|Representative Publications |
"Direct, High-Yield Conversion of Cellulose into Biofuel," M. Mascal, E. B. Nikitin, Angewandte Chem. Int. Ed.2008, 47, 7924.
"Oxatriquinane and Oxatriquinacene: Extraordinary Oxonium Ions," M. Mascal, N. Hafezi, N. K. Meher, J. C. Fettinger, J. Am. Chem. Soc.2008, 130, 13532.
"Towards the Efficient, Total Glycan Utilization of Biomass," M. Mascal, E. B. Nikitin, ChemSusChem2009, 2, 423.
"1,4,7-Trimethyloxatriquinane: SN2 Reaction at Tertiary Carbon," M. Mascal, N. Hafezi, M. D. Toney, J. Am. Chem. Soc.2010, 132, 10662.
"Azatriquinane as a Platform for Novel, Conformationally Rigid Tripodal Metal Complexes and Calixiform Scaffolds," M. Jevric, T. Zheng, N. K. Meher, J. C. Fettinger, M. Mascal, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.2011, 50, 717.
"Concise Photochemical Synthesis of the Antimalarial Indole Alkaloid Decursivine," M. Mascal, K. V. Modes, A. Durmus, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.2011, 50, 4445.
"Putting Anion–π Interactions Into Perspective," A. Frontera, P. Gamez, M. Mascal, T. J. Mooibroek, J. Reedijk, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.2011, 50, 9564.
"The R3O+…H+ Hydrogen Bond: Toward a Tetracoordinate Oxadionium(2+) Ion," E. S. Stoyanov, G. Gunbas, N. Hafezi, M. Mascal, I. V. Stoyanova, F. S. Tham, C. A. Reed, J. Am. Chem. Soc.2012, 134, 707.
"Extreme oxatriquinanes and a record C‒O bond length," G. Gunbas, N. Hafezi, W. L. Sheppard, M. M. Olmstead, I. V. Stoyanova, F. S. Tham, M. P. Meyer, M. Mascal, Nature Chem.2012, 4, 1018.