Ph.D. Moscow State University
Research in our group is focused on exploring novel materials for energy generation, conversion, and storage. In particular, we are interested but not limited to thermoelectric materials, Li-ion batteries, superconductors and catalysts. Understanding the structure-property relationship is a key to the rational design of such materials. We are using various techniques of inorganic and solid state chemistry for the synthesis of new materials and characterization of their functional properties. Optimization of material’s performance is achieved on the microscale by tailoring atomic arrangements and chemical bonding in the crystal structure, and on the macroscale by varying particles size, shape, and chemical composition of the surface. Graduate and undergraduate students who join our group will be exposed to a variety of techniques for synthesis and characterization of solid state inorganic materials.
Education, Awards and Professional Highlights
- Guest Editor for Chemistry of Materials Virtual Issue on Thermoelectrics (2016)
- Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers Emergent Investigator (2016)
- Materials Research Express Emergent Investigator (2016)
- Chemistry Communication Emergent Investigator (2015)
- ACS Solid-State Materials Chemistry Emergent Investigator (2014)
- Young Chemists highlighted in Chemistry - A European Journal (2014)
- ACS YCC Leadership Development Award (2013)
- NSF REU Chemistry Leadership Group Award (2013)
- ACS Chemistry Ambassador (2013)
- Appointed to UC Davis faculty (2011)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Florida State University (2008-2011)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Fritz-Haber-Institute of Max-Planck Society, Berlin (2007-2008)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Max-Planck-Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids, Dresden (2005-2007)
- Ph.D. Moscow State University (2004)
- M.S., B.S. Moscow State University (2001)
- Wang, J.; Kovnir, K. Elusive β-Zn8Sb7: A new zinc antimonide thermoelectric. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 12474-12477.
- Dolyniuk, J.; Wang, J.; Lee, K.; Kovnir, K. Twisted Kelvin cells and truncated octahedral cages in the crystal structures of unconventional clathrates, AM2P4 (A = Sr, Ba; M = Cu, Ni). Chem. Mater. 2015, 27, 4476-4484. 85.
- Wang, X.; .Kolen'ko, Yu.V.; Bao, X.-Q.; Kovnir, K.; Liu, L. One-Step Synthesis of Self-Supported Nickel Phosphide Nanosheet Array Cathodes for Efficient Electrocatalytic Hydrogen Generation. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 8188-8192.
- Lee, K.; Kaseman, D.; Sen, S.; Hung, I.; Gan, Z.; Gerke, B.; Pottgen, R.; Feygenson, M.; Neuefeind, J.; Lebedev, O.I.; Kovnir, K. Intricate short-range ordering and strongly anisotropic transport properties of Li1-xSn2+xAs2. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 3622-3630.
- Greenfield, J.T.; Kamali, S.; Lee, K.; Kovnir, K. A Solution for Solution-Produced β-FeSe: Elucidating and Overcoming Factors that Prevent Superconductivity. Chem. Mater. 2015, 27, 588-596.
- Greenfield, J.T.; Pak, C.; Kamali, S.; Lee, K.; Kovnir, K. Control over Connectivity and Magnetism of Tetrahedral FeSe2 Chains through Coordination Fe-Amine Complexes. Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 5355-5358.
- Pak, C.; Kamali, S.; Pham, J.; Lee, K.; Greenfield, J.T.; Kovnir, K. Chemical Excision of Tetrahedral FeSe2 Chains from the Superconductor FeSe: Synthesis, Crystal Structure, and Magnetism of Fe3Se4(en)2. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 19111-19114.
- Fulmer, J.; Lebedev, O.I.; Roddatis, V.V.; Kaseman, D.; Sen, S.; Dolyniuk, J.; Lee, K.; Olenev, A.V.; Kovnir, K. Clathrate Ba8Au16P30: The "Gold Standard" for Lattice Thermal Conductivity. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135,12313-12323. 66.